Friday, February 11, 2011

Fringe: Concentrate & Ask Again

My Tweet by tweet review, interspersed with in-depth thoughts.
Dr. Spock, bwahahaha!
Awesome death! Dale says: homeboy needs some Prolia
He's been using Brand X
(Also a quote from Dale)
I love love love that scene btwn Olivia and Nina!

The scene between Olivia and Nina is the best part of this episode. In fact, the crime in this episode really is the background story, a good device to bring out the relationship issues. I really enjoy how Olivia allows herself to trust Nina. It must be hard that something she would've kept very secret is public knowledge of everyone she works with. And of course, Olivia chooses to disregard Nina's advice, which is a shame.

Peter is doing well. Now, if only there weren't that little matter of killing 5 shapeshifters & lying to Olivia about it.

Olivia does ask Peter, as Nina advised. But it's more complicated than Peter just explaining his feelings. I don't think Peter is even clear on his own feelings. And Olivia knows that. Not to mention that when Olivia finds out about the shapeshifters, she's not going to be inclined to trust Peter again...

Walter's pee dance was great.
Simon's gonna fall in love with Olivia just cos he can't read her mind, haha.
I like where this is going, but who will the group target be?

This scene between Olivia and Simon is also a great scene. Portraying how difficult it is to have an ability like mind reading - great writing and acting. This is where the episode plot gets a little weak, however. We see three more people killed by the gas, presumably by another soldier whose dead child was named "Carla," and I'm wondering why there's going to be a fancy dress ball with multiple victims (as seen in the previews).
The scene at the hospital is very good. Can't imagine trying to read the mind of someone with brain damage! I can't help but think that Simon could learn to manage his ability, but he certainly closes the door on that in this episode. That doesn't mean we won't see him again, though.

The tall one is right.
Poor Simon, he needs some lessons in mental focus or something.

OK, as much as I love seeing everyone all dressed up (and wow, Olivia!), this murder scene doesn't make much sense. Why kill a bunch of civilians at a fundraiser for Thorn? It would be easier to kill Thorn, or to hold his family ransom.

Still wondering how the safe ties in.
Yes, nina, Sam is a first person...

Now we come to one of my favorite parts of any episode - the multiple scene denouement. I didn't know how the safe tied in at first, but now I see it's to bring in yet one more copy of the First People book. My favorite theory is that Sam is a First Person, but I'm satisfied with knowing that he wrote the book at all.
An aside - the unspoken apology between Walter and Simon was fantastic.

Yeah, in my last blog post I mentioned that Peter might love Fauxlivia...
Good episode. I like the plot point of Peter & Olivia's relationship. And Alt world next week!

The fact that Peter still has feelings for Fauxlivia isn't a huge problem (except for Olivia, of course). The thing that Peter must tease out is which Olivia he loves. Of course he's attracted to both of them - they are the same person. But they are also unique individuals, and he'll need to pick one.

1 comment:

Kerry said...

you are making me realize that i need to catch up on my Fringe.