Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The unexpected joys of travel

I'm on week 2 of my 2 week journey of the eastern half of these great United States (and territories, protectorates, junior assistant states, or whatever the PC term is these days).

Last week was a 3 day whirlwind tour to San Juan, Puerto Rico. Think all the heat of the American south with twice the humidity. I conducted a physical inventory at one of our manufacturers, then rewarded myself with a tour of the Bacardi rum factory. This is actually a little false advertising on the part of the great Bacardi company, because you see, you don't actually get to see the INSIDE of the factory, though you do get to ride past it. They give you a great presentation on how to make rum and the history of rum making. I'm pretty sure I'm now an expert, since they first told me how to make rum via a "tour" guide, then showed me how to make rum via a 15 minute video, then showed me how Bacardi makes rum via more videos, then showed me the outside of the factory. I hypothesize that they don't actually take you through the factory because they don't want you to see the large pile of dead rats, bats, or other vermin in the corner of the building. Of course they made up for this unforgivably horrible "tour" by giving everyone 2 free drinks at the end. So, all in all, I'd rate it at 12.5 on a scale of 10....easily the best tour ever. Who needs to actually see the inside of a factory during a factory tour anyway?

I nearly had a mid-air emergency on my flight back from San Juan. The flight left at 6:45am, I was on oxycodone for my wisdom teeth and I had eaten nothing before boarding the plane. The a/c wasn't working (so the plane was very stuffy) and the octogenerian lady sitting beside me was "emitting some odiferous eminations" from her nether regions that would put the burliest, grease-eating, beer-guzzling merchant marine to shame. Combine all of those factors, and I was reaching for the barf bag before 2 things (by the grace of God) saved me: 1. The a/c came on and 2. the beverage cart had arrived at my most desperate moment of need. This is proof that God loves me, but also has a somewhat twisted sense of humor.

I flew to Chicago today. Here until Thursday. Will update you with any news and notes later in the week.

Dale

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet the Oxyco-rum combo was especially fine. Are you sure that you didn't hallucinate the trip home? Maybe the smelly senior was merely the pile of hypothetical dead bats in some forgotten corner of the plant. (You only thought you didn't see the inside!)

Anonymous said...

Re: Barcardi---Do we really want to lose the magic? The drinks at the end provided all the information that we really want to know!

Loved the review of "Leaving the Saints."