Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Giving

I'm reading a fantastic book* right now, The Meaning of Mary Magdalene by Cynthia Bourgeault, and I came across this quote this morning:
"I am one with the source insofar as I too act as a source by making everything I have received flow again." Raimon Panikkar

Reading this got me thinking. At Evergreen, one of the challenges for 2011 is to give one BIG thing away. And that's something that Dale and I were really struggling with. Reading this quote today opened my eyes to something that I think should've been obvious to me: There is a level of giving that goes beyond giving time, money, material items, and self. Yes, even beyond giving of oneself. This level of giving is not something that can be quantified. It's more than volunteering one's time in a ministry, or in serving others. It is giving beyond your ability to give - giving beyond what you have to offer. It is a quality of life, in which your self, in relation with others, is giving. You become a channel of the Holy Spirit, giving what you don't have to give. Are the other types of giving valuable? Yes. Are they necessary steps on the journey to this state? Absolutely. Am I there? Oh, NO WAY! But I have it as a goal now.

*NOTE: This book, while completely awesome, is something that many Christians will find frightening and heretical. So read with caution.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes me think of Madeleine L'Engle's "Light bearers." I like the quote and may have to use it in one of my prayer meditations. Thanks for sharing.

Fran said...

Anonymous is really me! I don't know what happened.

Anonymous said...

No I'm not you, "Fran"! Stop taking credit for what I say!

Anonymous said...

No I'm not you, "Fran"! Stop taking credit for what I say!