Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The weight game

So I don't know how much weight I've gained since I got pregnant. I don't know what my current weight is. This makes me an anomaly among pregnant women.
I'm not being careless - at each OB appointment I ask the doctor if my weight gain is OK. So far, it has been. I just don't see the point in knowing the numbers.
Why do we care so much about the numbers? Average weight gain is just an average - by definition it means that half of us will be above and the other half below.
I know my body is changing - that I won't be able to fit back into my pre-pregnancy clothes for many months. Why do I need to know an exact number? Even if I lost the exact same number of pounds, I might not fit back into the same clothes.
Weight gain during pregnancy is just a game that I'm choosing not to play.

No comments: