Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Know It All God

I've had some time now to reflect on my seminary education, and I find it interesting to look back and see how God has been directing it all. When I first decided to pursue a degree, I lived in VA and had no intentions of moving. I was looking at 2 schools, Marymount and Regent. Marymount had the degree I was most interested in: a joint degree in theology and counseling which would gain me licensure as a social worker. But I knew that I needed to wait, so I waited nine months. And in those nine months, my GRE scores expired. When I went to apply to both schools, I discovered that the GRE wasn't required for any theology degree, but that the particular Marymount joint degree I wanted did require a GRE. Well, clearly I wasn't going to take it again, so off to Regent I went. And then we moved!
After we moved to Raleigh, I had thoughts about Duke Divinity School. And now I am taking Hebrew there, surrounded by first year mDiv students. And as I look at their degree plans and hear them talk about their work, I realize again that God directed me right. If I had waited any longer to apply, I would've known that we were moving and applied to Duke. But quite honestly, I feel like my courses at Regent are much more relevant to current ministry than my courses at Duke would be. Regent has required me to consider personal spiritual development as a credit course: required me to look at all aspects of my life: health, diet, intellect, spirit, heart. At Duke that sort of thing is done as a non-required small group. Regent focuses on leadership, discipleship, missions, world religions, in a way that is very relevant to what is going on in the church today. Sure, I have to take Hebrew and Greek, where, as a friend of mine points out, Spanish might be much more relevant for ministry here in NC. But that just means that I have to pay attention to my intellect.
I'm not trying to bash on Duke at all. I'm sure their program is excellent. But I am confirmed again and again that God put me at the right school at the right time. And I love the way God did it by strategically opening and closing doors - you always hear about it but it's not often easy to perceive.

No comments: