Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Time passes

Last night, or maybe it was Sunday, Dale pontificated on the random humor in an ad. A TV ad. It must've been Sunday, because we didn't watch any TV yesterday, except for Oprah. Side note: Dale got home early yesterday, as I was settling in for an hour of "me-time" watching Oprah. He sat next to me with his computer open, presumably because men don't watch Oprah. Within 10 minutes he was watching with me, computer long forgotten. heehee. (let's see if Dale sees this post and rebuts...)
Anyway, the point being that life can be very pleasant, and yet nothing to talk about. Dale and I have spent the last few days going about our lives, cooking, taking walks, watching football and Amazing Race, and solving the Rubik's Cube we bought on Saturday. That's pretty absorbing, by the way. It took 2 of us a full hour to decipher the directions and solve it the first time, and yes, we used the directions. The last time I solved a Rubik's Cube sans directions I used the old "swap the sticker" method. Even now, it still takes one of us at least an hour to solve, USING directions.
But I have a point and I'm coming back to it now. One of my favorite quotes, I think from George MacDonald, is something to the effect that fictional good is boring and fictional evil is fascinating, but real life good is fascinating and real life evil is boring. (Obviously, this is a bad paraphrase). So Dale and I have a great life, but not much to put on the old blog. Because while the fish we had for dinner last night was really yummy and enjoyable, a blog post it is not. And this is probably why reality TV is so atrocious: it tries to take real life evil/badness entertaining. When it's really just sad, pathetic, and boring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with George McDonald. Furthermore, I think we must appreciate those quiet times in life when things are going well, but nothing exciting is going on. They don't last forever, but give us a rested and peaceful foundation upon which to cope with whatever life throws at us next.

Remember the old Chinese curse: May you live in interesting times. And it is often true!