Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My Church Made Me Do It!

Maybe it's that we don't have cable anymore. Maybe it's that this is the second week of major illness in our house. But I think that the biggest reason for our latest addiction is our church. My church made us start watching American Idol, and now we're hooked.

Yes, it all started two years ago. Chris Daughtry made it past the initial auditions and Hollywood Week to be a finalist in American Idol. Daughtry used to be the worship leader at our church, Evergreen. So naturally, everyone in the church was rooting for him. Our Tuesday night bible study recorded Idol each week, so we could watch it together after the study. And you had to vote! Voting was a necessity!

Last year we avoided Idol, although Dale convinced me to watch some of the initial auditions. You know, the funny/pathetic ones where people with no talent but huge egos try to be Britney Spears (not much of a stretch, except for the lack of recording contract), and get insulted by Simon. But once those were over, we were done!

Then came this year. Our TV is much more limited this year, as we have no cable. So, no HGTV, no Food Network, no "fun" channels. Naturally we watched the initial AI auditions. But then I decided I had some interest in Hollywood Week. Dale came with me. Then we decided to keep watching. While Dale denies his interest, I also notice that he watches it with me - even the nights we've recorded...

No comments: