Thursday, July 31, 2008

Do Animals Like to be Pets?

As mentioned before, this is a very rich and satisfying chapter. First we have the weird dolphin-goldfish hybrids. Now we have turtle abuse. Here's the very next lines:
"It's fun to have turtles for pets too, isn't it? But don't shut your turtle in a dark box, and forget him most of the time."
Uhh, ok. This is a little creepy, right? I mean, do we have to suggest methods of animal abuse to young children? Maybe a turtle manual would be a good investment for someone with a pet turtle. Did the author do this? Did her child do this?
Later in the chapter we have this: "Puppies like to play with you; but even they do not like to be treated roughly. Never hurt your pets by slapping them or throwing stones at them."
Wow. I must confess, I have never considered throwing stones at my pets. Or slapping them. Now, occasionally I have lightly tossed a cat who was, say, pulling chicken off my plate. But that doesn't count - cats always land on their feet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the new blog! Your readers depend on you for some thought and entertainment!

Christina Regule said...

Hey Elaine! I promise not to throw stones at your cats ... but if you want me to throw 'em and see if they still land on their feet, "I've there for ya, man!" :-)

Please leave that at home the weekend of our Regent graduation May 2009!