Monday, September 15, 2008

recharging the batteries

I had a meltdown last week. Too much stress. Very bad thing.
So, I absolved myself of at least 1 major responsibility, which relieved much immediate pressure. Then I started recharging. Friday morning I got all my homework completed by 10:00 am. Then I sat down and cross-stitched for 2 hours while ignoring the evil voice in my head screaming at me to BE PRODUCTIVE! Well, I almost ignored it. I did pay a few bills. Saturday was our women's retreat and I went and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I didn't allow myself to worry, stress, or control the event. Surprisingly, without my iron grasp of control over every little detail, the event still actually worked. Wow. It's like something else is actually controlling the world... Sunday I went to church, had a nice lunch with Dale, and then went to a concert with some friends. It was an Indigo Girls concert. It was AMAZING! We were on the main floor, up against the stage. I was 6 feet away from Amy and Emily. SIX FEET! I was able to see fillings in their mouths. It was just incredible. Imagine being 6 feet away from the singing duo you've adored for, oh, 14+ years! And for only $32! And in a smoke free venue! Sure, it was in Charlotte (sorry I didn't mention it, D&S, but we were in North Charlotte and came and went just for the concert), so we had about 6 hours of driving, but I used that time to nap. :)
All in all, I am beginning to feel human again. Like a real person. I can face my day of writing tomorrow, but only because I've recharged my very empty batteries.

5 comments:

Kerry said...

I think that I may have been controlling the world.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! However, cross stitch is also productive!

Letting go of that handle at the top of the world is a challenge! But you are up to it.

Alicia said...

I know from sad, sad experience just how hard it is to let God have the world controller back. I'm proud of you.

Stacey said...

I've seen some of your cross-stitch, so I'll agree with your mom and say that you were being productive. Don't beat yourself up so much! Taking care of yourself is part of what God charges you to do down here.

Anonymous said...

BTW, while cross stitch is productive, it also counts as a relaxing activity. Further, the repetitive motion counts as one of those things that refreshes the mind. Isn't it nice to know that such a pleasurable and productive thing is also good for you!