Friday, November 7, 2008

Cool Beef People

At the farmer market today I took the plunge and bought some beef. The stall was run by a sweet older couple. I asked for some chuck roast and the man delightedly took me back to a trailer containing 2 big freezers filled with frozen beef. He pulled out roast after roast, pointing out the beauties of each. It was awesome. He was so proud of each cut, like he were displaying gorgeous cut flowers or adorable puppies instead of chunks of raw meat. I ended up buying a lovely 7 bone chuck roast, so named because the single bone is shaped like a backwards 7. As I paid, I asked if the cattle were pastured their whole lives, and he proudly said yes. He then pointed out that they ate his very own grass in his own pasture. Then he threw in a pack of ground beef for me to try!! The whole experience was just great. I'm really looking forward to eating this. I've heard that grass-fed beef is very tasty, so this will be a great way to find out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm very supportive. One thing to remember and deal with is that grass-fed beef tends to be a little less tender, so prepare and cook accordingly!