Sunday, April 5, 2009

beautiful day

Today was just gorgeous! No rain (after over a week of it), and over 70 degrees! It makes me so sad to think that in 2 short days it will be 30 degrees colder and start raining again. :(
Today was one of those days when I miss DC. When I lived there, on a beautiful day I could always go downtown and sit in the nation's park, surrounded by inspiring words in inspiring monuments. In Raleigh, we have parks, but they are oriented towards activities, not sitting still and soaking up sun. Dale and I talked about it and went to a coffee shop, where for the small price of 2 drinks, we were able to sit in the sun, talk, and read books. It was a good replacement.
I still think about making pilgrimages to DC. Our pastor wants all of us in leadership to have at least 1 day a month where we sit silently with God. I could easily drive to DC on a Friday, stay with a friend, spend Saturday on the National Mall, and then drive home. Dale and I could do it together, and then spend the day separately listening to God. It's a thought. Right now I don't feel like I need to make a special effort to have time alone with God: a large part of my day is spent doing just that. But once I'm working and meeting with people, I'll need to set aside time for that.

No comments: