Friday, May 21, 2010

The Purell incident of 2008

Back in 2008, Dale and I had a little Purell incident at church. I believed I may have blogged about it. However, here's a refresher:
We were gathered in Knoxville for a big family Christmas and my 2 nephews were seriously ill. So Dale and I went out and bought Purell and Zicam as preventative measures. We were Purelling every 5 minutes.
At the Christmas Eve midnight service, we went up to the high altar of my parents' church to take communion. This was a very formal service. Think Duke chapel with professional musicians. Very beautiful. So there we are, kneeling at the rail, and Dale hears a "spurt" sound and looks over to see me Purelling. I pass the Purell to him, and he looks at me indignantly and pockets the Purell. He was deeply offended that I chose that particular moment to Purell.
The funny thing here is that I was deeply offended that he pocketed the Purell. Because it wasn't ours. It was sitting, open, on the railing when we got up there. I assumed it was the church's way of decreasing germs. So while Dale couldn't believe I Purelled before consuming the Lord's Supper, I couldn't believe Dale would steal Purell from a church!

Flash forward (not the show, that's been cancelled), to last weekend, when Dale and I were in Knoxville. We walk into my parents' church and the first thing we see is a large Purell container on a stand, right there in the front lobby. I guess you never know what kind of impact your actions will have...

4 comments:

Chris said...

was it bolted down this time?

Katharine said...

This is SO funny! Love it!

The Knoxville Mom said...

It's not bolted down, but on a very permanent (heavy) stand. I think it's safe from Dale. And now we can all press the flesh as we greet one another, knowing that we are less germy than before! It's still a funny family story.

purell instant hand sanitizer said...

I appreciated this! Keep up the good work, I like your writing. I have gotten some good information here.