Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Being kind

I watched Ellen at some point this week and when she ended the show she said, "be kind to each other." And I know that's probably related to the Trevor project, etc., but you know, I think it's really great advice in general. It would be a great church benediction - be kind to one another. Kindness is highly underrated.
In my daily prayer book, the morning prayer ends with the statement: "we go in peace to love and serve the Lord, and to live our lives so that those to whom love is a stranger will find in us generous friends."
We need to be kind. I'm not just talking to Christians, but I do think that as a group, Christians (including myself) need to take this call very seriously and prioritize it. After all, kindness is fruit of the Holy Spirit - evidence that God is working to transform you.
In marriage, too, kindness goes a long way. We so easily forget to be polite and friendly to our spouses, but simple kindness, a thank-you, a smile, the word please (NOT spoken sarcastically) - these little things smooth life's daily speedbumps.
A lot of Christians like to point fingers and talk about sin. That's not kind. It's just not. It's also not proof that you're a Christian. Evidence of your faith comes from seeing the fruits of the Spirit, and as far as I know, Paul never mentions calling out someone else's faults as a fruit of the Spirit. Can we as Christians find a way to speak out against injustice and immorality with kindness? I think we can - we just aren't trying to.
So today, let's be kind. It'll be a challenge for me, I know. But it's worth it.

1 comment:

Fran said...

How different things would be if kindness motivated our behavior. Our families, our churches, our nation, our world would all be better places.