Monday, October 11, 2010

National Coming Out Day

Today is National Coming Out Day.
Let me be clear: I am not taking a stand on alternate sexuality with this blog post. Those who know me know what I believe and what I support. That is not the point of this blog post.
The point is, when we will find a way to move past having to "come out"? The very phrase designates LGBT people as different, people who are hidden and must reveal themselves. Several years ago, there was a lot of pressure on Rosie O'Donnell to come out. I felt that was unfair. Rosie O'Donnell is an entertainer. Her sexuality is her business. Just as no one pressures Oprah to declare her heterosexuality, no one should force Rosie or Ellen or anyone else to declare his/her sexuality. That's equality. When we make sexuality an issue, we are creating inequality.
I do not think a culture of secrets is healthy. People of alternate sexualities should have the right to be open about their preferences. So I can see how a Coming Out day is a step in the right direction. But it still supposes that LGBT is a separate group - people who are different fundamentally than heterosexuals. Language is very powerful. When will LGBT people cease to be seen as a minority group that have secret lives in some closet? How can we move towards that goal? What is the next step after National Coming Out Day?

One last thought. If you aren't planning to have sex with an individual, then why does her/his sexuality matter to you?

1 comment:

Fran said...

Amen, Sister!