Monday, October 29, 2007

Hebrew

I am not good at languages. I look at people blithely talking in other languages, I hear a friend casually mention taking a third language, and I think, wow, that is something I just can't do. I'm ok with that. The problem is, I still have 3/4's of my year of Hebrew to go. I spent most of this weekend studying for a quiz, just a quiz, today. Literally spent hours on it. The last time I spent hours studying for anything it was, well, Hebrew. Pre-Hebrew, the last time I spent hours studying for something was probably, oh, maybe in undergrad? I literally can't remember. This either points to bad study habits, or a decided lack of talent in languages. I'm voting for the latter.
I think that when this class is over, I will have gained a lot of compassion for people learning English. See, I hear people talk about how English is one of the most difficult languages to learn. I say, well, Hebrew is probably more difficult, but I'll go ahead and say they're equally hard. So to all those out there struggling with English, I offer all my compassion and sympathy! Keep it up! When you're done, you will be able to communicate with millions of people around the world! When I finish studying Hebrew, I'll be able to, well, to write letters to any ancient Israelite who appears in the 21st century via a time machine...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You never can tell!
Once an Italian Cardinal wanted to communicate with C.S. Lewis. Lewis had a number of languages (4 or 5 I think), but not Italian. The Cardinal had no modern languages. The solution? They corresponded in Latin.

Besides paying your dues to become a thoroughly qualified pastor, you are becoming a resource for all of us. When I have a question about a Hebrew Biblical word, I'll come straight to you!

So hang in there!

Elaine said...

You know, I think this time, I really can tell. There ain't nobody nowhere that I am going to correspond with in ancient Hebrew.
You do realize that I'm going to do nothing but learn verbs from here on out, right? That's it. Just more and more verb forms and verb exceptions. There are, by far, more irregular verbs than regular ones.
No, right now I just have to figure out a way to squeeze more information into my brain. A daunting prospect.

qlluevacafe said...

OKAY, your latest blog entry really interested me bc I'm a for. language major. I think it's fantastic that you're attempting Hebrew. There's the open window theory with learning languages-obviously the older you begin to learn one the more difficult it is. And while you think that all your verb conjugations are completely useless, I just want to encourage you that foreign language really does help everyone-regardless of ability-bc a 2nd language allows you to find a. diff. ways to express yourself and b. lets your recognize the versatility and creative components of language, i.e. there are many ways to say things. SO all that rambling probably does nothing for you, but I'm so proud of you! It takes guts to start something like that in your 30's, esp. a language barely utilized.

Anonymous said...

I can only remind you that the common wisdom is we only use about 10% of our brain cells. So you will be able to push more into that magnificent brain of yours!

AND (this is a big one for us older folks) there is no evidence to suggest that over-use of the brain leads to Alzheimers! In fact, those of us who read about it know that stimulating the brain is one of the best things you can do to keep that disease at bay.

I'm with qlluevacafe---I'm proud of you for taking it on, and furthermore, I know you will be successful. Remember, when all is said and done, this will be one of your past victories!

Kyrie eleison.

Elaine said...

Sigh. The rational part of me knows that there's value in studying Hebrew.
I only wish that rational part of me was absorbing the hebrew a little more successfully!

Erin Brown said...

I'm about to communicate with you in ancient Hebrew, making this whole ordeal worthwhile. Prepare yourself for this:

Shakavtee. Shakavtee meretrix. =(

You're welcome.

Elaine said...

Erin Brown - if that is true then you need to see my doctor right away!
You meretrix!