Thursday, December 18, 2008

Looking inward

So I'm deeply disturbed today by news of something George W. Bush has done. It's something that I really disagree with, for many reasons. I'm not sure discussing the actual action here has merit. Because the fact of the matter is, I'm angry and upset and I just want to point fingers and screech.
But then I drop back and think about how often I implore people to look inward before they point fingers. So, I'm trying to do that. I'm angry at other people for not being willing to lay down their rights and stop judging others, so I need to stop judging others as well. Does this mean I check my political opinions at the door? Well, no. Does it mean I have no right to speak up? No.
I need to let go. I agreed with very little that President Bush did and so my current state is nothing new. There is a new political party in power soon. They are already discussing how to reverse this current action. My role is to love others and to pray for everyone. So I'm letting go. I'm releasing all my upset over this. I'm releasing my judgment and my anger. If nothing else, this action of President Bush's is initiating an important conversation that needs to happen. Both sides need to rationally discuss the implicit issues and move forward. I am happy to do so. I will attempt to do that with objectivity. Because I'm letting go of the emotions, for now.
It feels good to let go, even though I know I will probably need to let go a few more times today. :)

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Good news on this front for you.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/27/AR2009022701104.html?hpid=topnews

Does that work in comments?

Anonymous said...

Drat. How about this?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/
article/2009/02/27/AR2009022701104.html?hpid
=topnews