Sunday, December 21, 2008

What am I asking of the universe?

Things are good right now. Not perfect, but of course, they never will be perfect! But very very good. And so I have the time to wonder, what am I asking for? Life is smooth, on-course. It's the opportune moment to sit back and think about what I'm asking for. Martha Beck talks about desire, and about asking "what then?" This is my "what then?"
And there's another piece too. I've been thinking about Mary: this is my time of year to think about Mary. If God offered me a divine Son, a child born of my virginity, what would it be? What would it look like? What area in my life is unexplored, but waiting to be filled with life?
I consider with fear and trembling, because I've learned that when you ask things of the universe, the universe becomes very personally focused: if I ask for relational reconciliation, for example, I will be forced to confront my unreconciled relationships. Just the way of things. But relational reconciliation is high on my life. Of course, so is writing 2 books and getting them published.
What are you asking of the universe? What barren area of your life is waiting to be filled with divine conception?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thought provoking! I want to think about it more—after Christmas. Right now I'm just asking the universe for safe travel for my family, a holiday filled with joy and happy memories, and the constant awareness of the reality of this holy time.

Next week, I'll be ready to think about a lot more!

Anonymous said...

I read this after putting the kids to bed on Christmas Eve. You'd think that I would be excited about what is to come tomorrow morning, but really, to be honest, I'm shaking my fist at heaven for another Christmas with a very specific disappointment. What I am asking for? That my desires come to pass by next Christmas or I have more courage than do now if they don't.
Thanks for this post. I needed a boost in my faith.

Elaine said...

I'm glad it helped!

Anonymous said...

I want to live in the light, the love, laughter, fullness of life, the grace, and the peace that He came to this world to live. Those are very basic concepts, full of meaning and cause for reflection. I can't think of anything else needful.