Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Turkey Stock

So yesterday I finally had a whole day at home. Which was great, because I've been waiting to make turkey stock ever since Thanksgiving. I used a recipe for chicken stock, figuring poultry is poultry. My first oops moment of the day came around 9:30 AM, when I realized that my pot was really too small for the full recipe. Fortunately, Dale and I froze the turkey carcass in 2 bags, so I cut the recipe in half and moved forward. This means we still have half our turkey carcass in the freezer. I had to boil the water, then skim the top every 15 minutes, for an hour. Then I skimmed every 30 minutes for 2 hours, while it simmered. The final stage was letting it simmer, uncovered, for 8 hours. It was really quite nice. I spent the day sitting in my breakfast room writing on my computer and monitoring my bubbling pot of goodness. When the simmering was done, I strained the mixture and put it in ice water to cool. Then it sat in the refrigerator all night. Today I was supposed to skim the fat off the top and then put it in containers. Well, funny thing, there was no fat! I guess turkeys are leaner than chickens... Then I dipped into it with a spoon to put it in the containers. That's when I noticed that the consistency was decidedly different from the consistency of canned stock. In fact, it jiggled and moved in a disturbingly reminiscent way. A way that reminded me of... Jell-O! So I spent 10 hours yesterday making turkey Jell-O. Yum. I bet it will be a great soup!

No comments: