Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Thoughts on Writing

It takes a lot of work and emotional energy. Also, I feel like a phony whenever I say I'm a writer. Sure, I've been published a couple of times in a local online magazine. But Dale's been published in a regional paper magazine and he doesn't call himself a writer. I hear myself saying it and I feel like one of those people who believes that, given enough time, they could write the Great American Novel. You know? Everyone has a book idea.
Someone I've read recently complained about this. Probably Anne Lamott. She talks about how writing doesn't seem like a real profession, about how all people think they are capable of being good writers. And I don't want to be one of *those* people.
Shrug. The fact remains, I am a pastor and a writer. I probably won't write the Great American Novel. But I hope I can bring light into some small part of the world through my words.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you'd feel better if you only called yourself a Pastor, since you have the training and the job. If it's not comfortable, just let the title go. It doesn't mean you can't write.

Kerry said...

There are writers, and there are people who write. Sometimes they are the same... and sometimes they are not.

I write, but have no passion for it. You my friend, have passion... and hence, I would call you a writer.

...Just my two cents...