Monday, December 6, 2010

Reverb 10

December 6 – Make. What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?

The last thing I made. This requires some thought. I make quite a lot of things: I cook, I cross-stitch, I write. So what is the very last thing? Christmas cookies. I baked Christmas cookies, intending to decorate them. I didn't get around to it, and now my husband is gobbling them as fast as he can! Before that? I guess I would say the cat cross-stitch is the last thing I completed. I have two cross-stitch projects currently going, but neither complete. And of course, I have two books I'm working on, a novel and a memoir.
Materials: For my primary creation, writing, the materials I use are the computer and my mind. I find it interesting that many people, when writing, don't necessarily create so much as recount. They are recounting experiences and events in new settings, rather than creating completely new characters. Of course writers, especially myself, draw from our lives. But I think most fiction writers would argue that we are still creating new situations and lives. For example, in my novel, I am dealing with the future. It's set in Raleigh, NC, so some things I can't change (Southern Weather). Other things I can create wholesale (college fashions for women).
Time: I am pretty good about clearing time in my schedule to create. Next year will bring some new challenges in that area, but I am preparing as best as I can for them. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Thanks to Reverb 10 for getting me thinking!

No comments: