Tuesday, June 16, 2009

nurture, of course

Yeah, I can't possibly poison or kill squirrels or moles or whatever is stealing my plants. I'm too softhearted. About the only thing I can kill without remorse are the slugs eating my basil. The beer dish is working ok - I put it out at night with fresh beer and in the morning there are usually at least 5 slugs in there. I'm also trying crushed eggshells around the basil plant. However, I have a lot of grass and rosemary around it, so there are several aerial paths to the basil. (btw, it took me about 5 tries to spell aerial right!)
Now, if only I could figure out why some of my plants are randomly dying. I try not to get discouraged. Gardening, like writing, is probably a skill which requires time and practice.

3 comments:

Momo said...

Gardening is a life-long learning process. (Barbara Kingsolver would probably suggest that you keep a short journal, dated, about what's going on.) But it's kind of like cutting your hair: your hair will always grow back, and the garden gets renewed at least once a year. Good luck

Fran said...

Momo? I have no idea what's going on.

Fran said...

A Pilgrim?

Obviously your mom has several aliases that she doesn't know about.