Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Who's telling us what to wear?

It seems to me that for centuries, men have been telling women what to wear. Now this includes gay men telling us both what to wear and what not to wear. Additionally, women have been telling ourselves what to weigh and how to look: weigh less, wear makeup. And what have men been primarily telling us about clothes? Don't wear our clothes. Don't wear comfortable, practical clothing that is tailored to your body without being too tight (ie, I wish I could buy a shirt tailored to my neck and arm sizes!).
I wish I could be like Diane Keaton or Ellen and rock the man clothing look. And maybe one day I will be confident enough to do so. Right now I'm too invested in the myth of being pretty and feminine. I like it. How much of that is cultural vs. my own personality, I don't know.

But you know what: let's stop letting other people tell us what to wear and what not to wear. Let's wear comfortable shoes and practical clothing. Let's weigh a healthy amount and not worry about gaining a few pounds for the winter. Real men, worthwhile men (at least all the ones I know), couldn't care less about sexy clothes. They see our beauty regardless.

2 comments:

Fran said...

Those gay guys have a lot of good ideas! But you forgot to put Oprah on your list. Sadly, she is always telling us to wear sexy clothes and high, high heels. That is such a false note from her.

Elaine said...

You can't compliment the gay guys and dis on Oprah. They are saying the same things.