Monday, June 23, 2008

A Year Early

Ever since I put together my approved degree plan in the spring of 2007, I've anticipated my graduation date to be May 2010. Well, it looks very much like I was reading one of the degree plans wrong. And actually, I'll be graduating May 2009.
To say I have mixed feelings about this would be wrong. I have one pure feeling about this: terror.
I feel completely inadequate. The thought of sending out resumes, seeking ordination, and selling myself as a qualified soul shepherd in less than 12 months is horrifying. I was really counting on 2010. That felt safe. It was nice and far off in the distance. Now I'm looking at 2009. It doesn't even sound as nice to say: "twenty-oh-nine" versus "twenty-ten."
I have a friend who is preparing to leave the country in less than a year and has to raise $11,000 or so before she does it. I have another friend who has quit school and is pursuing her dream of being a singer-songwriter. I have a friend who wants to bring fresh drinking water to the entire world. And to all of them, I say, ha! I'm way more afraid than you are!
I know this will pass. But wow, I had no idea I was so completely dependent on another 2 years of school!

4 comments:

Kerry said...

Just take the extra year and come to India.

You are going to kick some Divinity School ass!!! (Can I say that??)

Anonymous said...

Of course you won't be ready. But God will make you ready for the use He has in mind for you. Perhaps that is the scary part---finishing up the degree leaves you out of control!

Christina Regule said...

Hey Congrats Regent School of Divinity 2009 Graduate ... does this mean that you and I will be at the same Divinity Commissioning Service and May 9, 2009 graduation together, Elaine !?!

Is that a pleasant consolation ... graduating with your Regent recruiter?

Seriously, Proverbs 16:9 on this one ... God has prepared you, and He'll launch you in His perfect timing ... Maybe it's time to investigate endorsers and ordination ... With this U.S. Army Chaplaincy application paperwork, Jesus may return before "A Year Early" arrives for any of us ...

P.S. Internship in India (or Romania) sounds good, too.

Anonymous said...

Dale says: No to India or Romania. Just no.

:)