Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Where Was I Before I Was Born?

This chapter tries to answer the question of where we were before birth. It gives a very succinct answer: "You were nowhere." However, this is obviously too short an answer, so the author meanders on with it, moving on to the question of death. This was probably a mistake, but it sure is a great mistake, as it brings us to the Bayless All-Time-Favorite Quote in this book. She explains that all living things have a beginning, but not all living things have souls. She explains it this way:
"Only people have souls. When your little puppy dies, he will not go to heaven. The life that was in him will be gone. After you have buried him, you will never see him again."
What great words of comfort for a child grieving the loss of his puppy! Dale especially likes the fact that it's a "little puppy" that is dying, not an old, blind, half-lame dog that has lived a full life.
How does this idea fit in with the question of where were we before birth? Not sure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is what happens when people write books beyond their own understanding! We adults can laugh, and I've laughed a lot at this particular book, but what a hurtful thing to give to a child! That makes me angry.

For my part, whether right or wrong, I disagree with this dumb author. God created all the animals and loves His creation. I tend to think that animals will have an eternal future. I may be wrong, but I have always told sad children that their beloved pets will be in Heaven.

Having said that, I would not dare to think that this whole topic is within my expertise. However, I would always rather err on the side of love and kindness than hurtful words.