Friday, November 2, 2007

Halloween for Old Childless People


Now, let me say up front, "old childless people" refers to Dale and I. We are not qualitatively old, but in comparison to many of our friends, we are old. And I'm ok with that.
So anyway, what do "old childless people" do on Halloween? Besides answer our door and throw candy at small children, of course.
We spend our evening installing track lighting in the living room, of course! I'm using an adorable photo of Duchess trying to be just like her daddy.

And just a couple of Halloween thoughts:
1) In a neighborhood with a large number of children, if the parents are out with the kids, who's at home manning the door? Is it a matter of one parent staying home and the other going out? Do you flip for the right to go out? Which is more fun, staying in or going out?
2) Why are kids not saying Trick or Treat any more? We had maybe 10 kids, and I think I heard 1 Trick or Treat. Now, I did hear a lot of thank-yous, so it's not that the kids aren't polite. Are they shy? Am I just inherently so scary that kids are frightened into muteness and forget to say it? I didn't think I was that scary...

5 comments:

qlluevacafe said...

Haha, love the picture. No, you guys aren't old and boring. I'm only 20 and I stayed home, annoyed my dog, and did a little hw.

Love you!

Kate said...

I agree; you're not old and boring. And you're not scary either. I saw lots and lots of people piled on Franklin Street for Halloween, which actually wasn't all that exciting either. The picture is adorable. Hopefully I'll see you soon!

Erin Brown said...

I actually pondered that myself on Wednesday. I stayed at home and manned the door while my mother went out (my dad was out of town). I think that a lot of people just put a bowl of candy on their doorstep and hope that some greedy kid doesn't steal all of it. I also got very few "Trick or Treat"s. *Sigh* kids!

Elaine said...

Now see, the bowl of candy NEVER works! I'm thinking that parents must split responsibilities. Of course, kids also go out in groups too, surely that helps?

Anonymous said...

Hey! It's time for something new! We depend on you for our daily entertainment.