Friday, August 8, 2008

Pacifism and Suffering

We talked about just war and pacifism last night. And I realized that true pacifism requires a theology of suffering. (Pacifism being defined merely as the belief that, as a Christian, it is always wrong to use violence against another person).
We heard a fabulous story about a Greek Orthodox priest who voluntarily joined a group of Jews being rounded up for the concentration camps. The whole village joined them, and the Nazi's ended up not sending anyone to the camp from that village. But of course, it could've ended up with the priest dying in a gas chamber. Some priests did. He was willing to suffer - he knew that suffering is a part of following Christ.
Today I read a story about labor organizers in South Florida. They confronted a slave owner who beat one of his slaves (and yes, slaves are picking some of those Florida oranges). The owner didn't care b/c he expected them to file a Labor Dept. report. Instead, the group led a protest march to the owner's home, bringing the entire town with them. They were willing to stand up and say that if one slave suffered, they all suffered.
Me, a pacifist, encountering these 2 stories in the last 2 days is not a coincidence.
So here's the question. As a rich, safe, pampered American woman, how do I suffer with those who are suffering? How can I make my pacifism mean something - be an active participation in nonviolent resistance rather than a passive form of appeasement? How can I wage spiritual war?
Because remember, our war is not against the people and powers of this world, but against the powers of darkness. And our weapons are not the world's weapons, but spiritual weapons.
Whatever I do: to truly be a pacifist and defend those who are oppressed will demand my engagement with a powerful theology of suffering.

2 comments:

Kerry said...

I have been thinking alot about pacifism since this film... and I know that I have always been a pacifist. I am okay with this. I believe that the peaceful answer is always better than the mongrul one.

I ask myself these questions all of the time. How can my being a pacifist in a safe environment mean anything? I have no idea. I loved Eric's phrasing "Aggressive Pacifism"... or the "I'm a lover, not a fighter" theory that I hold so dear. I think that I have always been aggressive in my pacifism. Peace IS better than war. Love IS better than hate. Yes, I accept that my hippie metaphors are a stretch on the world at large. But, you have to believe that God wanted us to live in a peaceful world.

Anonymous said...

I know a good book you all need to read:

Suffering and the Courage of God : Exploring How Grace and Suffering Meet
by Robert Corin Morris,
Paperback

Usually ships within 24 hours
ISBN-13: 9781557254283