Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Saving the World?

There has been a lot of discussion lately in my circle about saving the world. It's fair to say that many of us find our consciences roused about the many social injustices throughout our world. As we realize the extent of our own involvement - the amount of blood on our own hands - we are striving to figure out just how to improve things. How do we address the many issues that exist? How can I stay here in America and be a part of society without guilt?
First, I find it important to remember that I live under grace. I have been forgiven for my contribution to these problems, for my ignorant consumption of resources. Further, I will be forgiven for them. All of us require forgiveness for far more than we can possibly imagine, and God is generous.
Second, there is a certain amount of choosing that must go on. For example, Dale and I, although we are saddened by the mistreatment of animals in America, have not chosen to change our diets to a vegan diet. On the other hand, we are considering trying organic, pasture-fed, and humanely treated meat. I've found a local farm that raises their own free-range cows and sells the beef. There are pictures of the kids hugging the calves. Cool! Also, Dale and I for a while avoided products made in China. Gradually, as I become more educated about slavery in America and the rest of the world, I have modified my position. Sometimes we need to buy products made in China. Eventually, clothes wear out and need replacing. So now I'm more focused on finding fair-trade products to buy when possible.
Third, I'm posting websites and blogs which can enable us to live more at peace with the rest of the world. Hopefully I can find and share lots of resources which will enable me to be more responsible in my consumption.

2 comments:

Kerry said...

I think that it's important to remember that one person can't save the world. BUT, one person can lead others to make a difference. I am not leading this crusade, I am being lead by what I see, read, and hear. I can't imagine sitting idly(sp?), doing nothing. I can't imagine not being appalled by what I see, hear, or read... living blindly is just not an option. Yes, I am going on this crusade to help others, but I am also going on this crusade for myself. Knowing that I am part of some kind of solution, any solution, is what drives my decisions.

Anonymous said...

Jesus said that we who mourn are blessed. I used to wonder about that because I didn't have anything to mourn about. But the older I get, the more evil and hate and mistreatment I see in the world, and I do mourn it all. Traveling through the west and seeing again how the Indians were treated makes me mourn. All the mistreatment in the world makes me sad.

But, one thing is new: now we know about all the suffering in the world. We didn't used to have 24/7 constant reporting about everything. This tends to harden us, because we simply can't do anything about so much of the suffering.

I try to live mindfully of what I can influence. I try to use water mindfully and thankfully. I try to remember where my meat comes from, and I try to buy from organic sources at least. I avoid things made in China when I can, and yet, I know that the people there need the pitiful wages that they earn. I try to be accepting of multiculturalism, remembering the propaganda and hatred that destroyed the Indian culture in the U.S.

And I pray. We often say that is the least we can do. It is often the best we can do. Beyond that, we are only responsible for the lives we can touch.