Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Force of a Sleeping Cat

A common formula for force is mass X acceleration. Given this equation of a sleeping cat, like Duchess, is 9 pounds X 0 = 0. However, there must be a special formula for sleeping cats. Because last night, my 9 pound cat pushed me to the edge of my bed, while doing nothing but sleeping. Given that she pushed 150 pounds of weight, her force must have been at least, what, 150 pounds? (I bet my Dad could calculate this exactly).
I propose changing the acceleration variable. It simply cannot be zero. I propose that when a cat falls asleep, their acceleration changes from 0 to 10x their weight. This results in the equation, for Duchess, of 9 pounds X 90 = 810. That surely explains her ability to shift my dead weight several inches.
Science experts, care to explain further?

6 comments:

Cheryl's Making Paces said...

(I propose "Covemore" or "Gulfmore")
I propose that your scientific explanation omits the "Theory of Unconscious Cooperation" which is a function of (1.) the ability, while "unconscious", of Mass A: elAine on Mass B: the Bed to interact with Mass C: the Cat and Mass D: Dale.
[At this time, I will not entertain discussion on variables which could go on ad infinitum.] (2.) The "cooperation" aspect of this theory is a function of the relationship(s) between the various masses - yes including the bed which reacts to movement upon it. Applying this theory, you can see that even the smallest movement while unconscious increases force from zero. Now you have some values to measure. This theory may also explain why you found yourself at the edge of the bed and not on the floor. Signed: the Rock Creek Geek "Creekmore Crockett"

Elaine said...

You bring up excellent points. Another factor to consider is that we sleep on a water bed, which no doubt exaggerates all movements...

Cheryl's Making Paces said...

Wow! The algorithm just expanded to three blackboards (yours, mine and the cat’s). I can only imagine the muscular integrity it took to be on the edge of a water mattress and not fall off. You must be extraordinarily fit! And the peril of sleeping with the knowledge that a single claw could lead to everyone drowning in the middle of the night makes me admire your sense of adventure. (I know the cat is probably declawed but the image appeared before I deduced the declawed kitty.) I’m glad we had this little talk.

Kerry said...

I suggest that you throw said-evil cat from the bed for this equation...

DE - C = BEB + SEX - C

Key: Dale and Elaine minus the cat equals a big empty bed where sex can happen without said evil cat.

I love you.

Elaine said...

LOL at both of you!
The cats are not declawed, but our mattress has a thick cover - if their claws could get through it then our bigger concern would be for our lives...
And the cats actually aren't a deterrent to s.e.x. After all, they do it in front of us! (see previous post)

Cheryl's Making Paces said...

I nominate Kerry for the math & science award. Subtract the cat lovingly but firmly from your bed. Add to your sofa in front of a warm fire with your husband, healthy snacks, good conversation, blogging and lots of purrs.
Creekmore Crockett - the Rock Creek Geek