Thursday, May 29, 2008

Not on a Diet

I am not on a diet. That said, I am trying to focus on my health this summer, and I figure this is as good a time as any to cut out some of the extra sugar and fat in my life. So I'm working out each day, eating healthy food all day, eating yummy rich chocolate at dessert, and not eating within 2 hours of going to bed. During the day, I try to only eat good things - things like fruits, veggies, protein, and good carbs. This means that I am hungry most afternoons. It's funny what hunger will do to you. This afternoon, I was so hungry that I considered walking to the grocery store, buying chocolate chip cookie ingredients, then eating half a batch of raw dough. All pretty rational, right up to that last point! At a certain point, I can satisfy my hunger with a salad and some fruit. Or a hard boiled egg. But after a certain point, my appetite gains its own personality. I picture Cookie Monster, inside my gullet, hollering "I WANT COOKIES!" I find myself thinking of different ways to eat cookies without knowing it. My brain becomes a devious prankster looking for ways to get around my rational self. And of course, this is why I'm not on a diet. If I were on a diet, the first thing I would do is eat every single forbidden food. My covenant group was talking about food logs this week, and Erin suggested that a food log would make a person feel guilty and stop eating badly. Not so much for me. I just figure that eating 8 cookies a day is about 1 serving, and therefore quite reasonable.

4 comments:

Kerry said...

The food log has the direct opposite effect on me. I have learned exactly what I can and can't eat. Benefit of being vegan?? However, I feel your cookie pain... and since I have perfected the vegan cookie recipe, I am wanting them all of the time. I would be happy to be your walking buddy in the evening, since I am looking for a workout buddy too.
Love you.

Elaine said...

Nope. When I look at my food log I think, well, I didn't do so well today, but look at yesterday, when I ate 5 vegetables! Or I think, well, I ate 10 cookies, but I ate 3 veggies, and those veggie servings were probably oversized so it's like 8 veggie servings. Faced with the evidence, I still refuse to believe that I am not eating the perfect diet.
What time do you walk in the evenings?

Kerry said...

Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays I don't have to work... do you want to join the super cheap gym with me?? We can work something out.

Yeah, the food log sucks.

Anonymous said...

I find that being a chocolate teetotaler or cookie teetotaler never works very long. What I do is keep a store of one very good kind of cookie or dark chocolate bar. Then, when the craving is very strong, or perhaps just when I want to, I eat ONE of the cookies or ONE square of the chocolate.

That might help you too.