Thursday, May 22, 2008

update

I've gotten a few responses regarding my post a few days ago about a depressed friend. So I want to post an update.
First: she is not in immediate danger. Fortunately, a mutual friend who lives within driving distance of her contacted me, and the two of us are working together to try and minister to her. She is still depressed but the suicide threat has receded.
Second, my post was born out of frustration with our attitudes towards mental health. It drives me nuts that a person having suicidal thoughts also thinks that drugs are bad or that talk therapy won't help, or that they don't need it. The stigma attached to mental health problems is stupid and ridiculous and it prevents people from seeking the help they need or taking their problems seriously. Also, I am frustrated by the church's attitude. I read on a pastor's blog recently a post which rejoiced that her denomination allowed her to refer people to professionals after only 3 meetings with them. Well, I know that some people need professional help. And I know that not all pastors are called to minister relationally - some are teachers, some are entrepreneuers, etc. But still, as someone called to pastor relationally, I think that the most important thing I can do with my pastoral time is to spend it with people. I don't have time to get into the discussion right now, but wouldn't a team of differently gifted pastors be the best bet? There should be a pastor or two, for every community, whose whole job is to sit with the wounded. At least, in my ideal world. But at my seminary, I have 2 required preaching classes and no required counseling. I think that's off.
I'll stop the rant now. I was hoping to clarify. I fear I complicated. But after all, I am on vacation. More to come later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such a nice blog. I hope you will create another post like this.