Saturday, May 3, 2008

Taking risks

I took a risk last night. A good friend of mine recently challenged me regarding my writing: asking me what she could count on me for. And I told her she could count on me to start sharing my writing with others. Which is really what it's all about - I've just been too full of excuses to do it. And so last night, at journey group, I shared a poem I had written - the one I posted on this blog a few weeks ago. It was pretty scary. It felt awkward and weird to say, now I'm going to read you a poem I've composed. It was equivalent to saying, now I'm going to take off all my clothes in front of you all. But I survived. And people liked it - they really liked it! And now I'm very glad I took the risk and shared. And I'm going to continue the process. Because art needs exposure to live - it can't survive locked up in my head or computer hard drive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This isn't a risk or about risks. It is just an observation. I really like your blog. Especially since it seems to be the only one on Blogger that is in English. It is much more enjoyable to read than Segunda-Feira, Sahara Deportes, TriMarni, or whatever that Greek one is. Damon and Carlton say hey!

Kerry said...

Feel free to send him my blog address... it's in english!!

Anonymous said...

Don't you think that reading your own writing is like singing a solo? As you observed, It is like you're naked in front of everyone—and you feel like you're being judged. For some reason, it is very personal. This is probably the reason I never share my writing. It's too painful to consider the possible rejection.