Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Weeping with others

Tonight I sat in a circle of women praying and weeping together. We were praying specifically for a woman whose daughter is suffering from cancer. Nine months of chemotherapy have been ineffective. The cancer has spread throughout the girl's body.
Words cannot capture what happened in our circle tonight. Sometimes the only power we have is in weeping together. And while I am deeply angry that the enemy has the power to inflict death and suffering, on the other hand I hold fast to the truth that the enemy only has death, and Jesus has already overturned death.
Sometimes I think that my primary ministry is to share in the sufferings of others. My ministry will not be a laughing one, but a crying one. Naturally my favorite prophet is Jeremiah. I'm ok with this. I don't like it - it's not fun to sit with someone and weep with them. But it's what I can do - what I can offer. I feel like someone needs to weep for this world.

1 comment:

Kerry said...

As someone that you have wept with, and who is consistantly weeping for the world... I am right there with you.