Wednesday, May 20, 2009

squirrels!!!!

Last fall I planted 5 Hosta plants. This spring I was disappointed to notice that only 1 of them sprouted and grew. But at least I had one. Then, today, I was out in the yard tending to the compost heap and I noticed that my beautiful hosta plant was gone! GONE! Nothing left but a small hole. I know what happened. A squirrel dug it out! Bastard squirrels! But I have had my revenge. I went to the litter box and there was a perfect little cat turd, unburied. So I scooped it out and dumped it straight in the hole. Hopefully the scent of predator spoor will scare those buggers away from my plants!

3 comments:

Kathy Grubb said...

I have never heard of squirrels eating hostas. We have squirrels and dozens of hostas and no trouble at all. Hmmm. Would you like to come up here and take a few hostas home with you? : )

Momo said...

I don't think the culprit is a squirrel either. We've had lots of hostas for years and they've never been abused or eaten by squirrels.

My guess would be that they were planted in too much shade or in a place that stayed too wet. Where were they planted?

Elaine said...

It's not like the hosta died. It is simply gone. Completely, totally gone. There is a small hole, approximately the size of 1 large cat poop, and no leaves, no nothing. So I don't think it died, shriveled up, and left no roots behind in 24 hours. :)
Seems highly likely to me that something with small hand-like appendages dug up the hosta and carried it away...
Plus, I've watched the squirrels dig in my beds all spring. Oh, and they're literally eating our house. Eating it. I'm planning a large cat poop campaign, just as soon as I finish my afternoon nap...