Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Hot Yoga

I'm laying on my back in a dimly lit warm room. There is a yellow fabric tube billowing slightly above my head, pushing steam in, I assume. I focus on my breathing - the heat makes my lungs contract but focusing relaxes them. People slowly file in, quietly rolling out their mats and joining me on the floor. Soon I realize that I am the only one with my head towards the far wall. I move my mat back and align myself with the others. The instructor comes in and we begin.
It starts with deep breathing, moving our arms. As my fingers reach toward the ceiling they feel the hotter air. My feet are still cold, but that doesn't last long. We move into poses and do leg lifts, lunges, crunches, and rotations. When we balance on one leg the room is filled with elegant flamingos while I flounder back and forth, my lifted leg constantly crashing to the floor.
When we finish the instructor whispers "Namaste" and I lay on my back, head towards the ceiling, breathing deeply. My legs are trembling and my abs ache. I sit up slowly and drink my water, sitting up as straight as I can as I gulp down the water. Eventually I get up and leave the room, the last one out. I think I'm going to enjoy hot yoga.

No comments: