Monday, March 22, 2010

Meditating on Moses

Exodus 3:9-12 Message: "'The Israelite cry for help has come to me, and I've seen for myself how cruelly they're being treated by the Egyptians. It's time for you to go back: I'm sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people, the People of Israel, out of Egypt.'
Moses answered God, 'But why me? What makes you think I could ever go to Pharaoh and lead the children of Israel out of Egypt?'
'I'll be with you,' God said."

I know God is with me. I spent a whole week last fall in the desert, experiencing God being with me. God and I just hung out, and God was with me constantly. It is reassuring to know that God is with me. It is still scary to think of taking action based on that. That's why I'm meditating on Moses this week. Moses had a passion to see his people set free, just like I have a passion to see people set free. Moses' passion exploded in the wrong time and caused him all kinds of trouble. I can't think of a specific example, but I know I've been looking for a murderous way to set people free and God has consistently denied me that (She even convinced me to be a pacifist!). And now I have a way - a path to bring people hope - my book. And I just feel like Moses - what makes God think I can do that? How dare I even say *I* can do that?

God is with me. Like a parachute. Now I just have to jump out of the plane.

No comments: