Wednesday, March 17, 2010

On the plus side

It was very interesting to read last night at writer's group. I only read the first half of my story, which is deliberately vague about a certain character. About a third of the people there were able to figure out that character's situation, which I like - it means I dropped enough hints but not too many.
However, there was something else. Several people picked up on a theme that I had not intended. However, knowing the parts I had already edited out, I knew that they were right - there is a second theme in the story which I hadn't discovered yet. It's really cool because their insights helped me see what was lurking beneath the surface of my story - and it makes the story that much more powerful. I'm definitely going to spend time exploring this aspect of the story.

No comments: